What is Ads.txt?
Ads.txt is a simple, flexible, and secure method for publishers and distributors to declare who is authorized to sell their inventory, improving transparency for programmatic buyers. Ads.txt supports transparent programmatic digital media transactions and can remove the financial incentive from selling counterfeit and misrepresented media. Similar to robots.txt, ads.txt can only be posted to a domain by a publisher’s webmaster, making it valid and authentic. As a text file, ads.txt is easy to update, making it flexible. The data required to populate the file is readily available in the OpenRTB protocol, making it simple to gather and target. And because publishers sell their inventory through a variety of sales channels, ads.txt supports the following types of supplier relationships:
- Domain owners who sell on exchanges through their own accounts
- Networks and sales houses who programmatically sell on behalf of domain owners
- Content syndication partnerships where multiple authorized sellers represent the same inventory
Dynamic Ads.txt Solution:
Playwire has developed and tested a dynamically hosted ads.txt solution. Using the IAB Ads.txt (Under 3.1 Access Method) spec, we are allowed to implement – “Only a single HTTP redirect to a destination outside the original root domain is allowed tofacilitate one-hop delegation of authority to a third party’s web server domain.” Based on the spec, please set up a permantent 301 redirect pointing to the Playwire Ads.txt file, Playwire COPPA Ads.txt file or the Playwire VIDEO Only Ads.txt file.
Please use extreme caution when setting up 301 redirects, as they may cause site downtime if configured incorrectly. Find your hosting provider below for instructions.
- Navigate to Sites and find your install
- Select Page Rule from the top navigation
- Add the following: If the URL matches: mydomain.com/ads.txt
- Add the following: Then the settings are: Forwarding URL 301 Permanent Redirect https://pwtxtmgr.com/ads.txt
- Navigate to Sites and find your install
- Select Redirect Rules from the left navigation
- Select the domain from the dropdown
- Add the following: Source* ^/ads.txt
- Add the following: Destination * https://pwtxtmgr.com/ads.txt
- Expand Advanced Setting and select 301 Permanent from the Rewrite type * dropdown
- Navigate to Domain Manager find your domain
- Click the 3 dots and select Manage DNS
- Scroll to the bottom and to Forwarding
- Select https and input domain and 301 permanent
Htcaccess and NGINX
If you are an experienced backend developer, you may want to utilize permanent redirect directly on your servers. Please use extreme caution when using these methods, as they may cause site downtime if configured incorrectly.
htcaccess 301 Permanent Redirect
Redirect 301 https://mydomain.com/ads.txt https://pwtxtmgr.com/ads.txt
NGINX 301 Permanent Redirect
rewrite ^/ads.txt$ https://pwtxtmgr.com/ads.txt permanent;
Where to host the Ads.txt file:
Your Ads.txt file should be placed on the root level of your domain. For example, if your domain is mydomain.com, you should place the ads.txt file here: mydomain.com/ads.txt.
- The file must be on the root level of the domain
- The file must be a .txt file extension
- The file must have Read permissions set to World
- The file must follow the IAB format
Playwire Ads.txt file
There are 2 different Ads.txt files we can provide for our Publishers. For COPPA Compliant sites, use the Playwire COPPA Ads.txt file, otherwise you use the Playwire Ads.txt file. We also have a Playwire Video ONLY Ads.txt file for our Trendi video publishers. *Please note: if your site already has an ads.txt file, just add our lines to the end of your file.
- Contact your Playwire Account Manager to discuss the process in detail
- After confirming your site with Playwire, you will have to add the ads.txt file to your site
- Use the example in this section or download the Playwire Ads.txt -or- Playwire COPPA Ads.txtWe also have a Playwire Video ONLY Ads.txt file for our Trendi video publishers. *Please note: if your site already has an ads.txt file, just add our lines to the end of your file.
- After adding the file to your site, contact your Playwire Account Manager to validate the file