What is Ads.txt?
Ads.txt is a simple, flexible, and secure method for publishers and distributors to declare who is authorized to sell their inventory, improving transparency for programmatic buyers. Ads.txt supports transparent programmatic digital media transactions and can remove the financial incentive from selling counterfeit and misrepresented media. Similar to robots.txt, ads.txt can only be posted to a domain by a publisher’s webmaster, making it valid and authentic. As a text file, ads.txt is easy to update, making it flexible. The data required to populate the file is readily available in the OpenRTB protocol, making it simple to gather and target. And because publishers sell their inventory through a variety of sales channels, ads.txt supports the following types of supplier relationships:
- Domain owners who sell on exchanges through their own accounts
- Networks and sales houses who programmatically sell on behalf of domain owners
- Content syndication partnerships where multiple authorized sellers represent the same inventory
Where to host the Ads.txt file:
Your Ads.txt file should be placed on the root level of your domain. For example, if your domain is coolmovies.com, you should place the ads.txt file here: coolmovies.com/ads.txt.
- The file must be on the root level of the domain
- The file must be a .txt file extension
- The file must have Read permissions set to World
- The file must follow the IAB format
Playwire Ads.txt file
There are 2 different Ads.txt files we can provide for our Publishers. For COPPA Compliant sites, use the COPPA Ads.txt file, otherwise you use the Non-COPPA Ads.txt file. *Please note: if your site already has an ads.txt file, just add our lines to the end of your file.
- Contact your Playwire Account Manager to discuss the process in detail
- After confirming your site with Playwire, you will have to add the ads.txt file to your site
- Use the example in this section or download the COPPA Ads.txt -or- Non-COPPA Ads.txt
- After adding the file to your site, contact your Playwire Account Manager to validate the file